Delicious apple dumpling recipes
Apple dumplings are easy to make and delicious to eat.
Detailed below are three apple dumpling recipes. All are good, so try each one to determine which is your favorite. Serve them while they're still warm with a scoop of ice cream on the top or in a bowl with a little milk; they're good just plain, also. If there are any left over (a rare event) just warm them in the microwave the next day.
An Elegant Dessert
- serves 4 to 6 -
6 medium baking apples, pared and cored. Choose a crisp baking apple, such as pippin or Granny Smith.
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
4 tablespoons shortening
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Mix sugar, cinnamon and walnuts together set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening with a pastry cutter, or blend with fingertips until dough resembles oatmeal.
- Stir in milk. Mix well to form a smooth dough.
- Turn dough onto floured board. Divide into six equal parts. Roll each piece until it is large enough to wrap around one apple.
- Place each apple in center of individual dough, but do not wrap. Sprinkle reserved sugar mixture into the core of each apple.
- Bring dough over each apple. Wet edges of dough to seal.
- Place on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 350° F until apples are tender and the dough is crispy – about 1/2 hour.
Different and Delicious
- makes 12 servings -
3 cups shredded, peeled cooking apples (3 to 4 medium), such as Golden Delicious, Rome, Granny Smith, Jonathan or Newton Pippin
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups water
1/4 cup margarine or butter
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup shortening
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- For dough, combine flour, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until dough is pea-size. Make a well in center. Add all the milk. Stir just until moistened.
- Knead dough on a lightly floured surface – 10 to 12 strokes, or until nearly smooth. Roll out to 12 x 10-inch rectangle.
- For sauce, in a large saucepan, combine 2 cups sugar, the water, margarine, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and nutmeg. Bring to boiling and boil for 5 minutes; set aside (should have about 2 cups sauce).
- For filling, combine 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; set aside. Sprinkle apples evenly over dough. Sprinkle with sugar mixture.
- Roll dough into spiral, starting from a long side. Pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 one-inch-thick pieces. Place in 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
- Pour sauce over dumplings. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 50 minutes or until golden.
One of Many Quick and Unusual Apple Dumpling Recipes
- makes 16 apple dumplings -
4 Granny smith apples
2 cans crescent rolls
1 & 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 sticks melted margarine
1- 12 oz Mountain Dew soft drink
- Peel and core apples, slice each apple into four slices; roll each slice in one crescent roll and place in a 9 x 13-inch pan.
- Mix margarine, sugar and cinnamon together in sauce pan, and heat to melt; add the can of Mountain Dew.
- Pour mixture over crescent rolls. Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes. Let stand for 30 minutes before serving.