Free online classroom resources
Find out where to go for some free classroom resources to add to your lessons.
I am a homeschooling mom of four, and I have found the Internet to be a treasure trove of free online classroom resources. I purchase curriculum every year, but sometimes one of my kids needs extra help in a particular subject area or I want some holiday-specific activities, and that's when I turn to the Internet.
If you are a teacher or a homeschooling parent and are looking for some great educational resources, there are a ton of sites that you should check out. Some of the sites want you to sign up for a paid membership, but they all have a free section, too.
- SchoolExpress: You'll find a ton of resources here: worksheets, eWorkbooks, puzzle-makers and sections on each subject across the curriculum. You can also find printable award certificates, online jigsaw puzzles, free software programs and journal writing prompts. There is also a list of links to other resource sites.
- MES English: This site offers free resources for teachers of kindergarten through sixth grades. You'll find coloring pages, printable stickers, printables for each holiday, games, projects and lesson plans, printable flashcards and more.
- ABCTeach: This site has more than 5,000 free printable worksheets. You can search by subject, by grade level, by holiday or by season. There are even resources for middle school teachers. I've used their reading comprehension worksheets, and they are excellent.
- LearningPage: Although LearningPage requires you to sign up for a membership, the membership is free. They have great unit themes. For instance, check out the Ocean theme: there are worksheets for language arts, math and science that all coincide with the theme. There is a lot of good stuff here.
- BusyTeachersCafe: Check out these free worksheets, tips and articles from teachers. There are recommended book lists and advice on starting your own Web site. This site has cute graphics, too.
- Scholastic: This site mas many great teaching ideas for pre-kindergarten students all the way up to those who are seniors in high school. You can also search by subject.
- Teachers.net: Teachers.net has a great lesson plan exchange and chat boards where you can get input and encouragement from fellow teachers.
- PBS: This is a site for teachers that provides ideas for how to use PBS programming in the classroom.
- The Discovery Channel: This network also has some resources for teachers. You'll find a quiz generator, puzzle maker, lesson planners, brain boosters and a clip art gallery.
- Teacher Created Resources: Teacher Created Resources offers a section of free resources, including lesson plans, calendars and teaching tips.
- Kid Zone: Kid Zone provides many free printable worksheets and activities that you can search by grade level or subject.
As you can see, there are many free online classroom resources out there. You just have to know where to look!