How to make corned beef and cabbage
It's easy to learn how to make corned beef and cabbage, a long standing tradition for St. Patrick's Day.
There are several ways to prepare delicious corned beef and cabbage. Actually, it's quite easy to do and the time spent will be more than worth it when you see all the smiling faces around the dinner table! Here are a few recipes.
Irish-Style corned beef is brisket cured with salt and brine and when cooked turns a kind of grayish color, unlike the red sodium nitrite-cured corned beef you see vacuum-wrapped in supermarket meat cases.
I. Corned Beef and Cabbage 1 pound kosher salt 1 gallon water 1 (about 7 to 8 pounds) fresh brisket of beef 6 whole black peppercorns 1 large head cabbage, cored and quartered 1 bunch carrots, peeled and thickly sliced 1 large turnip, cut into 2-inch cubes 8 large boiling potatoes, peeled and halved
- In a large non-reactive pot, combine the salt and water. Add the brisket and let soak, covered, at room temperature, for a minimum of 48 hours. (The beef must be completely covered, so double the brine recipe if necessary.)
- Lift the meat out of the pan with 2 large forks and pour out the brine. Add fresh water to the pan. Return the meat to the pan, add the bay leaves and peppercorns, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered until fork tender, 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
- During the last 45 minutes of cooking, add the cabbage, carrots, turnip, and potatoes. (Alternately, the carrots, turnip and potatoes can be boiled separately.) Let the beef cool for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- To serve: carve the meat and place the potatoes, carrots and turnip around it on a large platter. Serve the cabbage in a bowl. Makes 8 servings.
II. Corned Beef and Cabbage (how to make corned beef and cabbage in a really fast and really easy way.) 1 pound corned beef (found vacuum-wrapped in grocery meat cases) 6 potatoes, peeled and quartered 2 carrots, sliced 1 cabbage, cut into wedges
- Wash corned beef in cold water, then cover with water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook for five minutes, skim, cover again, and cook for 2 hours.
- Add the potatoes and carrots 30 minutes before the meat is finished; cook 20 minutes then add the cabbage and cook 10 more minutes. Makes 6 servings.
III Corned Beef and Cabbage (Here's how to make corned beef and cabbage in style that brings out the Irish in everyone.) 1 (4-pound) corned beef brisket with seasonings (in meat cases, vacuum-wrapped) 4 to 5 medium potatoes, peeled and halved 6 carrots, halved 1 medium head of cabbage, cut into 8 wedges
- Remove corned beef from package and place in a large kettle. Cover with water, bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes. Remove the residue that will float to the top.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for about 4 hours, or until tender when pierced with a fork. Remove corned beef from kettle (keep water) and place on a carving board or platter. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- To kettle, add potatoes and carrots. Cook 20 minutes; add cabbage wedges and cook an additional 10 minutes until cabbage is tender.
- Slice corned beef, against the grain. Place on large platter; arrange vegetables around beef. Makes 6 servings.
Variation: Corned beef may also be cooked in the oven at 300°F for 4 hours instead of on top of the stove.
IV Corned Beef and Cabbage Au Gratin (how to make corned beef and cabbage a delicious and different way.) 1 cabbage, coarsely chopped 1 onion, sliced 2 cups milk 4 tablespoons butter, divided use 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 cup instant potato flakes 1 large egg 1/4 teaspoon tarragon 1/2 teaspoon thyme 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper 12 ounces corned beef 2 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided use 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs 1/8 cup boiling water
- In a medium saucepan cook chopped cabbage and thinly sliced onion in a small amount of boiling water for 5 minutes, or until tender-crisp. Drain.
- In a large saucepan combine milk, 2 tablespoons butter, and salt; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in instant potato flakes. Let stand for minute. Fluff with a fork then add egg, 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese, tarragon, thyme, and pepper; mix well.
- In a 9-inch square baking pan, layer half the potato mixture, corned beef, the cabbage, and 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese; repeat the layers. Combine 2 tablespoon melted butter and bread crumbs; sprinkle over the cabbage mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° (175°C) for 20 minutes. Makes 6 servings.
If you enjoyed this article and your guests are hounding you for more great meals, our experts off other fantastic recipes that will be sure to keep your friends and family satisfied.