Father's Day sayings
Find the perfect Father's Day sayings for cards and homemade gifts for dadHe's there for you, 365 days a year. Whether he's trying to put together that swing set that arrived with 900 separate pieces, running behind you as you take that first bike ride without training wheels or chasing the monsters out from under your bed, your dad is your hero.
Father's Day is a great time to remind him how much you love him. Somewhere between breakfast and the dinnertime cookout, take a few minutes to honor dad with a card or letter telling him how much you appreciate all his does. If the right words are hard to write, here are some quotes about dads and fatherhood that might help you express exactly how you feel.
Inspirational Father's Day sayings
When you want to share deep feelings and gratitude, quotes like these are a good choice:
- He didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it. Clarence Budington Kelland
- Blessed indeed is the man who hears many gentle voices call him father! -- Lydia M. Child, 1836
- There's something like a line of gold thread running through a man's words when he talks to his daughter, and gradually over the years it gets to be long enough for you to pick up in your hands and weave into a cloth that feels like love itself. --- John Gregory Brown, Decorations in a Ruined Cemetery, 1994
Lighter side Father's Day sayings
Is your dad the type to prefer a funny gift or a great joke? Here are a few that might bring a smile to his face:
- There are three stages of a man's life: He believes in Santa Claus, he doesn't believe in Santa Claus, he is Santa Claus. -- Author Unknown
- Fatherhood is pretending the present you love most is soap-on-a-rope. -- Bill Cosby
- A father carries pictures where his money used to be. -- Author Unknown
- Small boy's definition of Father's Day: "It's just like Mother's Day only you don't spend so much." -- Unknown
- Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected. Red Buttons
Quotes from famous sons and daughters
Consider these quotes from celebrities about their beloved, if not so famous, dads:
- By profession, I am a soldier and take pride in that fact. But I am prouder infinitely prouder to be a father. A soldier destroys in order to build; the father only builds, never destroys. The one has the potentiality of death; the other embodies creation and life. And while the hordes of death are mighty, the battalions of life are mightier still. It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle field but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in Heaven.' Douglas Macarthur
- I talk and talk and talk, and I haven't taught people in 50 years what my father taught by example in one week. -- Mario Cuomo
- When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.-- Mark Twain
- My father said: ''You must never try to make all the money that's in a deal. Let the other fellow make some money too, because if you have a reputation for always making all the money, you won't have many deals. -- J. Paul Getty
- My father taught me that the only way you can make good at anything is to practice, and then practice some more. -- Pete Rose
No matter which Father's Day sayings you choose, your dad will be happy to know you took the time to express your love with a thoughtfully chosen message.