How to cure hiccups fast
Try these methods to cure your hiccups fast.What is a Hiccup?
Hiccups can occur from swallowing air, indigestion, drinking too much alcohol or irritating our diaphragms. When your diaphragm spasms, you experience a quick cough-like inhalation of air and make a small sound - also known as a 'hiccough.'
How to get rid of hiccups is another issue. People will try many different things to stop an annoying bout of hiccups. You have to try a few different methods out for yourself to discover which ones work best for you.
- Have someone scare you by shouting Boo. The idea is that when you surprise someone, the air that you swallowed comes back out when you are exhilarated.
- Try breathing slowly into a paper bag to help relax your diaphragm.
- Drink a glass of water upside down to completely relax your body.
- Eat a teaspoon of dry sugar.
These are all folk remedies, but have worked for many people.
Use Your Body
- Stick your fingers in your ears. Obviously, you'll want to do this in private so that people won't think you're a crazy person - but if you stick your fingers in your ears for about 30 seconds, your hiccups will likely come to an end. You can also press down on the soft spots behind your ears. Pressure on these spots will signal your diaphragm to relax and to stop hiccupping.
- Stick your tongue out. By sticking your tongue out as far as you can, this will open your throat and allow you to breathe more quietly and smoothly. This will stop your diaphragm from spasming.
- Eat a slice of dry bread slowly and in small bites. Chew each bite carefully and eat the whole slice. Before you know it, your hiccups have ceased.
- The oils from basil, tarragon and sandalwood are known as remedies for hiccups. Inhale the oil directly from the bottle and your hiccups will disappear. You may also dab a clean tissue with the oil and breathe in the smell.
- Some naturopathic physicians say that dill leaf tea can cure hiccups. Mix a teaspoon of dill leaf with a cup of boiled water. Strain out the leaves and drink the liquid slowly. The dill leaf herb creates an equal balance in the oxygen levels in your blood and your diaphragm and will get rid of hiccups.