How to make bread
Learning how to make bread is easier than you thinkIt smells wonderful! And it tastes even better! I'm talking about homemade, right out of the oven bread. No store-bought or even bakery made bread can compare.
But a lot of people are intimidated by bread making. It seems too complicated, too mysterious to attempt at home. They don't believe they could ever learn how to make bread.
I am here to tell you differently! Anyone can make delicious breads at home. Your kids can make bread. And you can learn how to make bread. Don't believe me? Try these simple bread recipes yourself, and prepare to be amazed!
The world's simplest bread recipe
This bread is great with soup, salad or just hot with butter and jam.
- 5-6 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour (if you want to make it even healthier, substitute whole wheat flour for 1 to 2 cups)
- 2 tbls (or packets) of dry yeast
- 2 tbls dark brown sugar
- 1 tbls salt
- 2 c very warm (not hot) water (120-130 degrees F.)
- A pan or oven-proof bowl of very hot water
- Mix 3 cups of the flour with the yeast, sugar and salt. Pour in the warm water
- and beat about 100 times with a whisk
- Stir in the remaining flour a half cup at a time until the dough loses its stickiness.
- Turn the dough out onto a well floured surface.
- Knead for 8 about minutes. This means push it, and fold it, and press it, and fold it again, over and over until it is as smooth as a baby's bottom.
- Place dough in a clean, greased bowl and cover with a warm damp dishtowel.
- Let it rise for 15-20 minutes in a warm spot, away from drafts.
- Take the dough out of the bowl, punch it down and divide it into two pieces.
- Shape each piece into a round loaf and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Cut an "X" one-half inch deep in each of the loaves with a wet sharp, serrated knife.
- Place baking sheet with loaves in the middle of a COLD oven.
- Put the pan or bowl pan of hot water on the lowest shelf.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees and bake 40-50 minutes until golden brown.
Okay, ready for another one? Here's a recipe that will teach you how to make bread that a French baker would be proud to serve!
A simple, crusty, delicious bread!
Serve this bread with soft cheese and a good red wine for a perfect European-style lunch. This recipe makes 4 loaves.
1 1/2 tbls (or 1 and 1/2 packets) dry yeast
1 1/2 tbls coarse kosher salt
6 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
3 c warm water (about 100 degrees)
Extra flour for kneading dough
1-2 tsp coarse ground cornmeal
- In a large bowl mix yeast and salt into 3 water
- Stir in flour, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well until there are no floury spots. This dough will be quite soft and loose
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap
- Let dough rise at room temperature for 2-4 hours
- Sprinkle a little flour on dough and cut off a grapefruit-size piece with serrated knife
- Turn dough in hands to lightly stretch surface, creating a rounded top
- Put dough on cookie sheet sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Repeat with remaining dough
- Let the loaves rise for 40 minutes, covered loosely with plastic wrap or a tea towel
- Place a baking stone or heavy duty cookie sheet on middle rack of the oven
- Put a broiler pan or shallow metal pan on the bottom rack. Fill with water.
- Preheat to 450 degrees with the stone or cookie sheet in the oven. If using a pizza stone, heat it for 20 minutes.
- Dust bread dough with flour, make three parallel cuts in the top of each loaf with serrated or very sharp knife
- Slide onto stone or heated cookie sheet
- Bake until well browned, about 25-30 minutes.
- Enjoy hot, or cool then slice.
With recipes like these, anyone can learn how to bake bread! Try it...you will never buy grocery store bread again!