Easy knitting projects
By Catalogs Editorial Staff
Learning to Knit: Tips, resources and easy knitting projects for beginnersLearning to knit is a fun, relaxing hobby as well as a way to make beautiful, wearable art for yourself, your friends and family.
If you are interested in learning to knit, or have recently made the decision to try your hand at knitting, here is a list of great tips and advice for beginning knitters, as well as some suggestions for easy knitting projects and patterns.
1) When it comes to knitting, many people don?t know where to start. Joining a local community knitting group is recommended because ultimately, other more experienced knitters will be your best resources during the learning process. Research knitting groups online. Often times, libraries, local craft or yarn retailers, schools or community centers will offer classes.
Before you continue reading about the Easy knitting projects there is a special announcement we would like to share with you. Catalogs.com has negotiated special medicare rates for our vibrant community of seniors. If you are over the age of 60, you can head over to our Seniors Health Section which is full of information about medicare. All you need is your zip code and a few minutes of your time to potentially save 100s of dollars on your medicare bills.
2) Acquiring the necessary materials is a critical step for beginning knitters. Beginners will be best served by selecting a pair of straight size 8 knitting needles, and plain, 4 ply worsted yarn for undertaking those first practice stitches and easy knitting projects.
3) How to books, guide books, and instructional videos and DVDs can also be helpful resources for beginning knitters. Some websites even offer webcasts of knitting classes and instructional demonstrations! Books titles such as Now Your Knitting, Teach Kids to Knit, and Great Beginner Knitting Patterns are helpful guides that feature a variety of easy knitting projects.
4) Before you start in on any knitting projects, take plenty of time to practice casting on the yarn, (the first stitch that involves looping the yarn onto the needle)and repeating the basic stitches Knitting has two fundamental stitches, the knit stitch and the purl stitch. These two types of stitches will provide the foundation for all your future knitting projects.
5) Learning how to hold the yarn is also important prior to undertaking any easy knitting projects. Knitting methods and techniques vary around the world, however the two most common knitting methods used in the U.S. are the American-English method, with the yarn held in the right hand, and the Continental method which requires the yarn to be held in the left hand. Ultimately, there is no right or wrong method. Experiment until you decide which method feels most comfortable for you.
6) Once you feel comfortable with your needles, basic stitches and method of holding the yarn, it is time to select your first patterns and easy knitting projects.
7) Many free patterns for easy knitting projects, such as cable scarves, cable band caps, dish cloths, baby bonnets, and even flip flop tops, can be found online. Once you have successfully completed your first easy knitting project, you may be ready to move on to projects such as Afghans, socks, hats, mittens, even knit sweaters.
Popular Savings Offers
Get Savannah's Original Pralines, at very affordable discount prices and offers.
Savannah's Candy Kitchen
25% Off Plus Free Shipping
Get 25% off your order plus free shipping
Get Free Shipping on order over $49
Terry's Village (Now Oriental Trading)
10% OFF your first order & FREE Domestic Shipping on orders of $125+
The Fabric Fairy
FREE Shipping on selected products. Applied Automatically on those Selected Products.
Get FREE Catalog to browse The Mayo Clinic Diet products
The Mayo Clinic Diet
- Business & Finance
- For Fun
- For Her
- For Him
- For Home
- For Kids