Top 10 Greatest Road Trip Destinations
By Editorial Staff
Many times when you hit the highway for a vacation your mind is on getting to your final stop. Perhaps there’s only a short amount of time available off work, or there is a lot planned once there.
Needless to say there are numerous places to check out along the way, here are the top 10 greatest road trip destinations that are a must see.
10. The Coronado TrailIf traveling on US-191 between Clifton and Alpine, AZ, you will get the chance to travel along the twists and turns of the The Coronado Trail.
A great scenic route, this stretch of road is not for the nervous driver as it is steep and narrow with numerous cliffs.
Before you continue reading about the Top 10 Greatest Road Trip Destinations there is a special announcement we would like to share with you. Catalogs.com has negotiated special medicare rates for our vibrant community of seniors. If you are over the age of 60, you can head over to our Seniors Health Section which is full of information about medicare. All you need is your zip code and a few minutes of your time to potentially save 100s of dollars on your medicare bills.
9. Calico Ghost TownSee this State Historic Landmark the way it was. According to www.calicotown.com, 1/3 of the town is original and the rest has been reconstructed to appear as it once was.
They offer seasonal events for the whole family and will embrace you with the Old West.
8. The Famous Houdini MuseumLocated in Scranton, PA, this museum brings the history of the famous magician to life. It offers seasonal magic shows in addition to its collection of Houdini history.
7. Cave CityPossibly one of the lesser known spots on the list, Cave City offers attractions for all ages. Mammoth Cave, the world’s longest cave according to www.cavecity.com, alone is reason to stop. This area offers all kinds of amusement and can easily be made into a weekend getaway.
6. Ripley’s Believe It or Not! MuseumWith locations all over the U.S., the Ripley’s Believe It or Not! Museum is home to the bizarre. Stretch your legs as you browse their gallery of all things strange. You will walk away bewildered.
5. Henry Ford MuseumFor anyone that loves cars, it’s not possible to pass through Dearborn, Michigan without stopping at this famous museum. With so much to see, it is easy to spend a whole weekend soaking in the area.Along with Greenfield Village, this is an extraordinary destination of historical value.
4. Hoover DamIf you are headed to Las Vegas, the Hoover Dam (also known as Boulder Dam) is a mere 30 miles southeast on the border of Nevada and Arizona. This historical man-made barrier offers tours and is a great stop if crossing the border on Highway 93.
It can easily be paired up with a trip to see the number one road trip destination.
3. Niagara FallsFor anyone living in Ohio, Pennsylvania or New York, this border-splitting waterfall is perfect for those spur-of-the-moment road trips. With entertainment on both sides of the border, it is easy to spend a weekend enjoying the Niagara Falls.
It is also the perfect lunch spot if just passing through, with picnic areas nearby the large spectacle.
2. State and National ParksAlthough the above mentioned tourist spot is a part of a National Park. There are numerous other National and State Parks that are a perfect place to spend a day, or just stop for a picnic. Too many to possibly list, these parks offer all kinds of different experiences, from endangered species to geysers.
Full of historical and cultural remnants, these preservations can be found along just about any route.
1. Grand CanyonNot usually considered a spot to spend an entire vacation, the Grand Canyon is certainly worth a stop if passing through Arizona. There are a plethora of ways to observe this humongous gorge including by air, jeep and raft.
You can even tour the canyon on the back of a mule if planned enough in advance.
Popular Savings Offers
Outside of the top 10 greatest road trip destinations listed above, any route is bound to have attractive rest stops. Spend a moment online to see what might come across your path, or just watch for signs and see where your trip takes you.
- Business & Finance
- For Fun
- For Her
- For Him
- For Home
- For Kids