What are the Top 10 Tasty American Side Dishes?
By Catalogs Editorial Staff
If you’re wondering what to make to go that that steak or chicken tonight, why not consider the most popular side dishes showing up on American dinner tables? Here are the top 10 American side dishes as of 2011.
10. Mixed vegetablesMixed vegetables, whether from a can or freezer bag, come in at number ten on the list of the most popular side dishes in American homes. Most people doctor these veggie combos by adding salt and pepper, soy sauce, butter, or seasoned salt.
9. BroccoliPresident George Bush Senior may not have liked broccoli, but Americans have a different view. Fresh, steamed, boiled or baked broccoli made the top ten list. Health and weight concerns are the most common reason for including these little trees on dinner plates across the country.
8. RiceWhite rice leads the way over flavored rice mixes and brown rice in the list of American side dishes. Most people serve rice plain, unlike the norm in earlier decades when gravy was typically served with rice.
Before you continue reading about the What are the Top 10 Tasty American Side Dishes? there is a special announcement we would like to share with you. Catalogs.com has negotiated special medicare rates for our vibrant community of seniors. If you are over the age of 60, you can head over to our Seniors Health Section which is full of information about medicare. All you need is your zip code and a few minutes of your time to potentially save 100s of dollars on your medicare bills.
7. PeasPeas, usually straight from the can pot to the table continue to make the top ten list. Frozen peas come in second, but fresh peas don’t even come near the top ten ratings. Most people have never cooked them.
6. Green saladGreen salads are a typical side dish in restaurants, but come in lower on the list of American side dishes at home. Most at-home salads now come from pre-washed bags. Romaine and Spring Mix are now more popular than the iceberg on the east and west coast, while the iceberg still wins in the Midwest.
5. CarrotsCooked carrots, most often from the freezer or a can, come in at the number five position. Raw carrots and home-cooked carrots are also popular choices with families, especially those with young children.
4. Baked potatoesWhile Americans are most likely to select French fries as their side dish in a family or fast food restaurant (and increasingly, even in more upscale restaurants) at home, baked potatoes are one of the top potato choices as a side dish. Microwaved potatoes are the norm for singles and couples, while families opt more for the old-fashioned oven-baked style.
3. Mashed potatoesMashed potatoes edged out baked spuds to make position three on the list of favorite American side dishes. But most of those piles of fluffy creamy potatoes came from a box, rather than a fresh potato. A lack of time or not knowing how to make mashed potatoes are the two most common reasons given for opting for flakes.
2. Green beansGreen beans sprinkled with a variety of herbs, or drizzled with olive oil or flavored oils show that American side dishes have become a little more sophisticated than the “dump a can and heat” version of vegetables from only a few decades ago.
Popular Savings Offers
To return your purchases, please contact us via email first (firstname.lastname@example.org) to get the return approved. In your e-mail, please kindly provide your order information and the service you require. You will then receive a confirmation email with your ticket number and instructions about how to return. We offer returns for items that purchased within 30 days.
Jumbo UGG Australia
1. CornFor decades, corn has held the number one place as the most common American side dish, and the trend shows no signs of changing. Canned or frozen corn outpaces corn on the cob, except in summer when fresh corn wins. Clearly frozen cobs are not tempting enough people to include on-the-cob corn year round.
What Ever Happened To The Herrington Catalog?
What Happened to the Old Pueblo Traders Catalog, Can I Still Order It?
What Happened to the Improvements Catalog, Is It Available?
10 Father’s Day Gift Catalogs: Find Awesome Gifts Dad Will Love at Catalogs.com
Best Outdoor Adventures For Families This Summer
- Business & Finance
- For Fun
- For Her
- For Him
- For Home
- For Kids