10 Amazing Ways to Decorate an Outdoor Living Room
By Editorial Staff
by Catalogs.com Info Guru Elizabeth Sobiski
If you love your outdoor space and want to spend more time enjoying it a beautifully decorated outdoor living room might be just the thing you’re looking for.
From small spaces to vast expanses, we have the decorating tips you need to create the perfect outdoor space. Here are the top ten ways to create the living room of your dreams – outside.
10. FlooringWhether you have a wooden deck or a concrete patio in your outdoor living room, make sure it’s clean and in good condition. Now is the time to sand, stain, and seal weathered, splintery wood. After all, you don’t want you or your guests getting a sliver. It’s a similar situation for concrete. Clean it up with a power wash or give it a good scrubbing. If you don’t like the way it looks, there are plenty of stains and paints to make your patio look amazing. No deck or patio? No problem. Make an instant patio with snap-together tiles.
Before you continue reading about the 10 Amazing Ways to Decorate an Outdoor Living Room there is a special announcement we would like to share with you. Catalogs.com has negotiated special medicare rates for our vibrant community of seniors. If you are over the age of 60, you can head over to our Seniors Health Section which is full of information about medicare. All you need is your zip code and a few minutes of your time to potentially save 100s of dollars on your medicare bills.
9. RugsOutdoor rugs are designed for the outdoor living rooms to get wet or be in the direct sun, with little wear and tear. Many styles are available so look for a rug that works with your overall design theme. Add a bit of fun and whimsy or go for a modern, monochromatic look. Keep the size of the rug in mind, so it’s stylish without being overwhelming.
8. Accent CurtainsCreate a special backdrop or divide larger areas with curtains made for the outdoors. These curtains hang on rods just like interior curtains. If there is an expanse of wall or fence that you’d like to cover, attach the rod to it, then hang the curtain. You can even avoid drilling into the side of your house by using a portable wardrobe as the curtain rod. Simply take the wardrobe cover off and hang the curtains on the rod where the hangers would normally go. Instant backdrop and conversation piece!
7. TablesThink beyond the typical coffee table. Go for form and function with outdoor tables that pull double duty. Look for pieces that offer storage or can also be used as an ottoman. If wood is the material you want to use, consider wicker or teak, as they hold up to the elements. Other options include stone, resin, and iron.
6. Little ComfortsThere is no reason to be anything less than completely comfortable when you are enjoying your outdoor living room. Although you must select furniture that stands up to an outdoors environment – humidity and temperature – which means your choices in upholstery are limited, there are accessories that will make every seat outside the house fit you perfectly. Look for foot stands to make your outdoor rocker better suited to shorter people, and footstools for chairs and sofas.
5. Sofas and ChairsNothing says comfort like soft sofas or chairs. Curl up with a good book or chat with friends while enjoying the time outside. Just like with tables, construction is important. Look for materials that handle the weather well and dry quickly when it rains. Don’t forget the accent pillows. Today’s technology allows them to be rugged enough for outdoor use while being just as soft as the ones inside your house.
4. Dining SetsGather with family and friends as you enjoy a special meal outside. Dining sets help bring people together while looking charming and stylish. If you want your outdoor living room to look more like traditional interior space, use the chairs as additional seating and move the table to the perimeter of the space.
3. Plants and PlantersSure, you’re outside and there are plenty of plants to enjoy in the yard. To make it more enjoyable, fill some movable pots with citronella and lemon thyme to have natural bug repellents nearby. Decorate tables with seasonal flowers in pots, to provide a burst of color as your centerpiece.
2. LightingFairy lights strung through the trees, strings of festive lanterns, an opulent chandelier, or simple table lamps complete an outdoor design. Make your area as bright or as intimate as you desire with the perfect lighting. As outdoor living rooms become more popular, it’s easier than ever to find the right light for your mood. Candles are another option, just be sure to keep them away from flammable objects or choose LED candles.
Popular Savings Offers
1. BarsWhat outdoor living room would be complete without a bar? Put it behind the sofa for double duty as a sofa table, too. Make sure there is plenty of storage, something that can hold your glasses, an ice bucket, or an ice chest. That way nobody has to leave the party for a cold glass of lemonade.
Top 60 Free Catalogs Online That You Can Easily Flip Through
10 Amazing Common Flowering Bushes: Garden and Blooms
Top 10 4th of July Celebration Ideas to Mark This Fun All-American Holiday
What Happened to the Improvements Catalog, Is It Available?
5 Commonly Asked Questions About the Medical Alert System
- Business & Finance
- For Fun
- For Her
- For Him
- For Home
- For Kids