Why you wear compression socks
By Catalogs Editorial Staff
For health or fitness, compression socks can help youCompression socks and stockings have been around for many years. Doctors and physical therapists have found they provide health and medical benefits. Users have found compression socks and stockings may improve comfort in some cases.
Fortunately, modern technology, weaving techniques and fabric improvements are making compression socks and stockings good looking and easy to put on, which is an improvement over older designs.
Why do people wear compression socks?
Before you continue reading about the Why you wear compression socks there is a special announcement we would like to share with you. Catalogs.com has negotiated special medicare rates for our vibrant community of seniors. If you are over the age of 60, you can head over to our Seniors Health Section which is full of information about medicare. All you need is your zip code and a few minutes of your time to potentially save 100s of dollars on your medicare bills.
Typically, they are worn to improve the health of the legs. Consider wearing compression socks and stockings to:
- Improve blood flow
- Prevent fluid from pooling in the legs
- Help prevent blood clots from forming in deep leg veins
- Aid in relieving symptoms and prevent problems from varicose veins, skin ulcers and deep vein thrombosis
How do they work?
Compression socks and stockings work by gently squeezing the lower leg to move blood and other fluids up the leg, improving circulation and reducing swelling. The compression does this by forcing fluids back into the capillaries and preventing other fluid from leaking out of these tiniest of blood vessels. They also prevent larger veins from becoming engorged with blood and potentially flowing backwards, causing congestion. In other words, it?s like a blood traffic jam.
Think of it this way ? the circulatory system is the super highway of the body. The heart pumps oxygenated blood to the extremities and through muscles via the arteries. Along the way, it picks up lactic acid and other waste as it leaves oxygen behind. The deoxygenated and waste-rich blood then makes its way back to the heart through veins. Back at the heart and lungs, the bloodstream picks up fresh oxygen to make more deliveries.
Compression socks have made their way to the athletic world. Studies with runners have shown that a consistent, optimum level of compression makes the artery walls dilate and increase oxygenated blood flow. The veins get compressed, helping to increase the velocity of fluid on the return trip to the heart. For them, this means quicker recovery and decreased soreness.
How to put them on
It?s important that your compression wear is clean, as they will be more flexible and easier to put on. Keep your them close to you bed, so they can be put on first thing in the morning. Morning is best since legs tend to have the least amount of swelling then. Preferably, sit in a chair with a back so you have something to lean against when pulling the garments up. There are a number of ways to get the socks or stocking on. Below is one of the most common and easiest for beginners.
- Turn the sock or stocking inside out holding onto the toe and top at the same time. It might look like a doughnut at this point.
- Put your toes into the toe area then ease the fabric over the foot and slide it past the heel.
- Use your fingers or palms to continue rolling the fabric over the calf and up the leg.
- Try not to grab and pull at the material, as that can make it rip, run or tear.
- Wear rubber gloves. The stickiness of the gloves will help you grip the fabric better.
- If you wear toe-less stockings, try a silk slip sock. Put the slip sock on first, then the compression garment. The silkiness of the sock helps the stocking slide easily into place. Once the stocking is on, the sock can be removed easily.
- Use a stocking butler or other type of mechanical aid. It holds the stocking open as you step into it. There are a variety of devices, so try a few then choose the one that is easiest for you.
Popular Savings Offers
To return your purchases, please contact us via email first (email@example.com) to get the return approved. In your e-mail, please kindly provide your order information and the service you require. You will then receive a confirmation email with your ticket number and instructions about how to return. We offer returns for items that purchased within 30 days.
Jumbo UGG Australia
How to Decorate a Home Office in Style: A List of Essentials, and 10 Inspiring Office Decor Catalogs
Top 10 4th of July Celebration Ideas to Mark This Fun All-American Holiday
Fun Family Fall Activities: Making Most of the Season
What is the Best Children’s Debit Card for My Child?
8 Great Filming and Video Tips for Entrepreneurs on a Small Budget
- Business & Finance
- For Fun
- For Her
- For Him
- For Home
- For Kids