How to

How do you get your mail forwarded

Info Guru,

Rate This Article:

3.0 / 5.0
Please forward
  • Share
  • Tweet

How do you get your mail forwarded to another address while you're away

You've decided that the Bahamas sound like a better place to be this winter than, say, Northern Minnesota. Your boss just dropped a 4-month long travel writing assignment on you, from Miami up to Boston. Your children want to take an extended trip to Disneyland: for about two years.

Work, life, and numerous other factors can lead us to abandon our home ship and strive out into the big, bad world. When this happens, what can we do to get our bills, letters, and important mail on time? And delivered to where we are when away from home?

The USPS offers a wide variety of services for its users. One is the ability to answer this question: how do you get your mail forwarded to you when away from your home base? Below, we'll take a look at the three options provided by USPS for you to receive your most important of documents, no matter where you are in the country.

Premium Forwarding Service (PFS)

For a weekly fee, the USPS will hold your documents, package them, and then reship to wherever you are in the nation. The USPS offers this Premium Forwarding Service (PFS), in which users will:
  • Pay $15 in order to enroll; each subsequent week you have your documents reshipped will cost an additional $15.25.
  • Most are shipped on Wednesday, through Priority Mail (a 2- to 3-day service)
  • The PFS service offered by USPS runs from 15 days up to 1 year; thus it is a temporary service for individuals looking to forward their important documents during a time when they are away from home, i.e.: vacation, work, etc.
  • Priority items are reshipped right away.

To sign up, you may head over to PFS Online or simply visit your local USPS Post Office with 2 forms of I.D. and irrefutable evidence of residence at your primary address. Be sure to note that PFS Online isn't currently viable with a PO Box. Therefore, if you have a PO Box, you'll need to head to your local Post Office branch in order to sign up in-person.

Change of Address Option

You may choose to direct your mail to a new temporary or permanent address. Simply head online, fill out a few forms of information, and charge a $1 fee to your credit card (in order to verify your identity).

Head over to the Mover's Guide to request a change of address online. As well, you may request a change of address:
  • In person at your local USPS branch, with PS Form 3575.
  • By telephone: call 1-800-ASK-USPS.

The USPS website FAQ will offer more information on these specific methods of changing your address, either on a temporary or permanent basis. 

General Delivery

For those without a permanent address, General Delivery is a solid option. Your items will be sent to your town's main Post Office and held for up to 30 days. How does this work?

Well, senders will use your town name and ZIP Code; your items will (hopefully) be sent to the correct Post Office. To make sure of this, tell senders to address documents to the ZIP Code for the town's main Post Office.

The USPS site lists the General Delivery guidelines for senders to follow, as well. In order to find your main Post Office location, call 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777).

So, how do you get your mail forwarded comes down to three solid options: PFS, Change of Address, and General Delivery. Feel free to vacation a little while longer, extend your road trip to Disneyland a few more months: the USPS has got you covered.

Resources: Mail Forwarding. Forward Mail.

Above photo attributed to Bogdan Suditu

Rate this Article

Click on the stars below to rate this article from 1 to 5

  • Share
  • Tweet