How to make skillet potatoes
Skillet potatoes are a delicious side dish to any meal, learn how to make them!Skillet potatoes have been around as long as cast-iron pans have, and every family, every state and every home has a special way of making them. Some go the vegetarian route and serve them with vegetables, while others spoon ground beef and sprinkle cheese over them.
They are obviously called Skillet Potatoes because they are made in a skillet, but if you don’t own a skillet, fear not! You can make them in a sauté pan or a non-stick pan and have great results and delicious skillet potatoes as well.
Skillets are used in cooking because to some degree, they increase the flavor of your foods by searing them with a nice crust. You never put your skillet in the dishwasher. In fact, you never wash a cast iron skillet unless it is definitely needed; just remove and wipe down food debris with a wet towel and dry right away. Re-season by wiping with oil or salt and your skillet will be ready to use the next time.
Below you’ll find a recipe for Skillet Potatoes with a few variations underneath. That’s the great thing about them, they can be adapted to any palate. Bring these over for a family get together or serve for breakfast with eggs and bacon on the side. Sprinkle chopped, fresh herbs when serving to increase flavor! Herbs such as parsley, rosemary, oregano and thyme work well with these Spiced Skillet Potatoes. Different spices work well.
Another idea is to serve them alongside different sauces your guests can drizzle over them, such as: herbed béchamel, aioli, or spicy condiments will dress these potatoes up for a great meal!
Cajun Spiced Skillet Potatoes
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 clove garlic, finely minced
10 medium red-skinned potatoes, diced (with skin)
1 teaspoon ground paprika
1 teaspoon Cajun spice
1 tablespoon hot sauce
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat a large skillet with oil and sauté onion and peppers until soft. Add garlic and potatoes and sear on all sides.
2. Sprinkle with paprika, Cajun spice and hot sauce. Season with salt and pepper and cook over medium heat.
3. Add 1/2 cup of water to hot skillet and cover. This will cook the potatoes thoroughly.
4. When water evaporated, turn heat to high and sear. Check for seasoning and re-season if needed.
5. Serve alongside meats, breakfast or grilled vegetables.
- Cook potatoes in coconut oil and add Thai Curry powder instead of Cajun spice, for a Thai version!
- Make them Cheesy Skillet Potatoes by topping them at the very end with 1 cup of your favorite cheese, such as Mozzarella, Cheddar, Gouda or even a crumbling of Blue Cheese.
- To make these Skillet Potatoes a full meal, in a separate pan cook ground beef and stewed tomatoes and when cooked, add potatoes. Serve with a side of skillet cornbread and dinner is ready!
Check out these links for great potato recipes:
Dine and Dish - Cast iron Skillet Potatoes